Folder sizes not reporting correct number of files or total size Win10 Prod build 1803

BSchwarz

Administrator
Folder sizes not reporting correct number of files or total size Win10 Prod build 1803

Hi everyone,

Short story: Update 1803 borked my previous hard drive/OS during installation, so I decided to upgrade my boot drive and clean install since there was no recovering my old boot drive OS. I ran a (manual) backup of all of my files from my storage disks
(to my external USB drive). Upon comparing folder sizes, I noticed certain folders on my backup drive had a significantly lower number of files and sizes were different. Did a bunch of troubleshooting (including trying a separate external USB drive)...fast
forward to me trying the same (secondary) USB drive on my Win10 Home (build 1709) laptop, where the correct number of files and folder size was reported. Back on my desktop (Win10 Pro) I found that shortening the path (the files were in a 4-folder deep
hierarchy...a bunch of albums in their respective folders) allowed the correct number of files and correct folder size to show in folder properties.

I have not validated 100%, but I'm pretty sure I don't have any files that have an absolute path > 255/256 (whatever the limit is), so I don't think the registry update to support paths > this will do anything.

I'm pretty sure this is a defect, and I *think* specific to Win10 1803. Does anyone else have this issue or know if an update is coming? I spent hours trying to figure out what was happening and started freaking because I thought one of my drives
was starting to take a dump.

Thanks in advance!

More...

Back