Windows 10 Windows Explorer Properties Information Incorrect after 1803 Feature Update

BSchwarz

Administrator
I have encountered a number of directories that now show incorrect “properties” information after the recent Windows 10 upgrade to the 1803 Feature Update.
Most directories that I have looked at still show valid information.
But in some specific directories the calculated size, number of files, and number of folders is wildly inaccurate.
Prior to the 1803 update, the information appeared to be valid for these directories that are now in question.

From one of these subdirectories, the “CNT +” subdirectory should include everything below it.
By just taking a brief look at the immediate subdirectories it can easily be seen that they describe more utilized space, number of files, and folders than indicated in the “CNT +” subdirectory itself.
In actuality, there are approximately 31K files, 4.5K folders, and a size of about 4.1G in total for the “CNT +” subdirectory where the current properties information shows just 87.2M for size with 695 files and 95 folders.
The directory structure and expected files are physically present.
I have walked the subdirectory structure and can see the expected components.

For some unexplainable reason, a large number of these files are not being counted anymore in the higher level subdirectories.
It is not until you get deep into the subdirectory structure that the properties information becomes credible again.
It just looks like in some of the subdirectories that a large number of files and folders are being ignored.
I still haven’t been able to figure out why.
This has nothing to do with “hidden” files or other system related file information.
These are just plain user files.

The subdirectories in question have been in the same structure and naming convention for years.
And I regularly used the associated properties information to verify the current backup size.
That is now failing miserably.

More...

Back