Windows 10 Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 Touch Keyboard (TabTip.exe) not working in Chromium or Firefox

• Thread starter Thread starter dirtbikr
  • Start date Start date
D

dirtbikr

Hello,

I am working on migrating our Enterprise LTSB 2016 image to Enterprise LTSC 2019. We run a guest user account with a production release of Google Chrome (currently v71.0.3578.98) in kiosk mode as the shell with the following list of switches: "--kiosk --disable-usb-keyboard-detect --disable-pinch --overscroll-history-navigation=0 --no-default-browser-check --disable-infobars --incognito".

This has been perfectly reliable on 1607 for months. Clicking into a field in our web application brought up the keyboard 100% of the time with the only change of adding "EnableDesktopModeAutoInvoke" (DWORD 1) to the user's TabletTip\1.7 key. On 1809, this never works, I haven't gotten the keyboard to pop up once while in Chrome or in Firefox. USB keyboard attached/not attached does not affect it. I also added the registry entry "DisableNewKeyboardExperience" (DWORD 1) with no change.

It seems like every other application that I have tested so far invokes the keyboard. Explorer, Filezilla Client, Notepad, native Settings app, Internet Explorer, an in-house WPF app, even the command prompt (which did not invoke the keyboard on 1607) all work just fine and invoke the keyboard when a text area/field is selected. Chrome and Firefox will not, under any circumstance, show the keyboard.

How do I troubleshoot this? I have added switches to Chrome, I have modified all related settings matching "OSK" in Firefox's 'about:config' section, but neither browser will show the keyboard. I have also tried with Brave browser (based on Chromium) and Opera (also based on Chromium) and it does not work under any circumstance. I have tested with and without explorer running, as an admin, as a standard user, and as a guest.

Thank you,

Eric

More...

Back