Windows 10 SMBv1 for Legacy Applications

• Thread starter Thread starter Luca Fabbri
  • Start date Start date
L

Luca Fabbri

Hello All,

I'm writing to ask for some questions regarding SMBv1 support (Windows 10) for "legacy" applications.

Environment Description

An application, installed on Windows 10 build 1803 (acting as client), access to its databases through a mapped drive (network share hosted by another Windows 10 - same build - acting as server). it isn't a legacy application but requires SMBv1. Once launched, it discovers SMBv2 is in use, and asks for applying changes to Windows in order to force SMBv1.

If I proceed, it makes some changes, but then, Workstation and Netlogon services don't start (error 1705) and I cannot access to any network share.

After an investigation, I noticed it enabled the SMBv1 and changed one value inside DependOnService registry under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation from

Bowser
MRxSmb20
NSI

to

bowser
mrxsmb10
nsi

If I restore previous configuration, manually, both services work again.

These are my questions:

1. Is the above change supported on Windows 10 ? Section "How to detect status, enable, and disable SMB protocols on the SMB Client" from MS article How to detect, enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3 in Windows and Windows Server lists the same change made by my application, but it doesn't apply to Windows 10.

2. To force SMBv1 usage, shouldn't I enable SMBv1 Client on Windows 10, where the application is installed (already done), and disable SMBv2 Server on Windows 10 where databases reside ?

3. MS article SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709 and later versions suggests to set Leasing mode "to allow a legacy application to work with SMBv2 or a later version". This means it wouldn't be necessary to enable SMBv1 and I can use SMBv2 for legacy applications. Did I understand well ?

Thank you,
Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on [Vote As Help] and click on [Mark As Answer] if a post answers your question.

More...

Back