Windows 10 C:\windows\system32\config\regback empty - batch file or command sequence to export registry in Windows 10?

• Thread starter Thread starter rocketjetz
  • Start date Start date
R

rocketjetz

I was doing some research on this and it seems that Windows 10 since at least 1803 no longer makes backup copies of the Registry hives and places them in C:\windows\system32\config\regback. I also notice that the REG.exe command is available in the windows recovery environment(winre). So my question is this. Since Windows 1809 no longer creates this backup I would like to be able to create a simple batch command file that I can run within the winre and make a complete copy/backup of the total registry, so I would then have a backup to restore from if need be. If you can provide me with the reg save/restore commands, or reg import/export commands to accomplish this goal. Also WHY doesn't windows 10 1803/1809 not perform this backup anymore anyway? bad move Microsoft! System restore is not an option to do full registry backups as System restore has proven, at least to me to be faulty and flaky, but then that's just my 20+ years of windows experience. There used to be a REGBACK.exe in the old Windows NT Resource Kit that worked great but it's not available anymore either. Using REG Export while windows is up does not create a complete total registry backup.

When you boot a Windows 10 PC via the Recovery Environment, are any of the registry keys locked? If not, could I use a simple xcopy command to copy the entire C:\windows\system32\config folder structure to say E: and if I wanted to restore them, just use the reverse and copy them back?

Well, any help or assistance with this matter will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Update: Can you do something like this in winre:

REG SAVE HKLM\COMPONENTS D:\RegBack\COMPONENTS
REG SAVE HKLM\SAM D:\Regback\SAM
REG SAVE HKLM\SECURITY D:\Regback\SECURITY
REG SAVE HKLM\SOFTWARE D:\Regback\SOFTWARE
REG SAVE HKLM\SYSTEM D:\Regback\SYSTEM
REG SAVE HKCU D:\Regback\NTUSER.DAT

REG RESTORE HKLM\COMPONENTS D:\RegBack\COMPONENTS
REG RESTORE HKLM\SAM D:\Regback\SAM
REG RESTORE HKLM\SECURITY D:\Regback\SECURITY
REG RESTORE HKLM\SOFTWARE D:\Regback\SOFTWARE
REG RESTORE HKLM\SYSTEM D:\Regback\SYSTEM
REG RESTORE HKCU D:\Regback\NTUSER.DAT

The above points to D: and not C; as in winre X: is the winre drive and D: is my actual C: drive

I would first enter D: at the x:. prompt to change directories

that would put me at D:\Windows\System32 the cd to D:\windows\system32\config

type: Dir and that should show me all the Registry Hives?

I forget where the NTUSER.DAT file is specifically?

More...