Windows 10 Windows 10 Auto Updates Restart & Group Policy

• Thread starter Thread starter mattbooty
  • Start date Start date
M

mattbooty

I installed windows 10 on my machine in organization as a test. And I noticed something odd about Windows updates that I'm hoping someone can help with.

We control updates via group policy for Windows 7 machines, the settings are:

1. Enable allow non-admins to receive notificaitons

2. Configure Updates to automatically install at noon

3. Enable No auto-restart with logged on users.

On windows 7 machines it works perfectly. Updates install at noon, then nag the user to reboot. It doesn't surprise anyone with an auto reboot causing lost work. But users who normally don't shut down will see the nag and eventually restart when convenient.

Now since installing windows 10 on my machine, it IS getting the group policy settings. But what I've noticed is it will auto install the updates but then never notify or reboot. I realized at one point it had been weeks since I had updates, so i looked and of course there WERE updates but they were pending reboot which I had never been notified about (I don't shut down nightly as I sometimes need to access my PC after hours from home).

What is the ideal solution for this in Windows 10? Is there any way to get a notification back to remind users to reboot? I noticed a GPO "Delay Restart for scheduled installations", if I set this to a large number like 10-12 hours would this force an auto restart in the middle of the night for anyone who leaves their PC running? Is there a better option?

Thanks!

More...

Back