Windows 10 DISM /online cannot find image. What do I do?

• Thread starter Thread starter jaygourley
  • Start date Start date
J

jaygourley

I had this problem on two, two-week-old Surface Pro 4's. They showed good System File Check results. I had run DISM experimentally on one, and it showed no problems.

Then I upgraded via Windows Update from the installed, local, Windows 10 Pro image to newer Windows 10 Pro, build 10.0.10586.0, ver. 1511. Initially this showed good System File Check results after the upgrade but then started showing uncorrectable System File Check errors for no apparent reason.

So after SFC reported the uncorrectable corrupt files, I again ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. This time, I got the following error:

Error: 0x800f081f
The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Since I used /online option, I don't know exactly what this error means or where to go next. The machines are operating normally. I'm worried about what is corrupted and why, but I'm more worried about my inability to run DISM. Does anyone have ideas on what's wrong?

JLG

I forgot to mention, DISM reports using image version 10.0.10586.0, but when I running winver shows "Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.63" (I added the bold face to highlight the .63).

More...

Back