Windows 10 Display problem - gray bar on top or bottom part of window is displayed - underlying program or desktop is accessible

• Thread starter Thread starter Geert N
  • Start date Start date
G

Geert N

Hello,

I have a client where more and more computers have the same problem.

At random and non reproducible a gray/black/white bar is displayed on top or bottom of the current window when it is maximized. When you click of right click in that area it seems that the program lying under that windows is accessible. Or when it is the desktop under it you can click on the icons and start that program. All while the current program is active. The same behavior you have with windows explorer, chrome, firefox, internet explorer, Adobe Pro, Nitro Pro, Word, Excel.

HP Laptops with an extra Dell monitor, same resolution, scaling on laptop higher than external monitor. And Dell all-in-one pc's with extra monitor.
Latest version Windows 10 (1809) with Office 365, Adobe Pro, Nitro Pro, Accounting program, Firefox, Chrome, Teamviewer 11.

Sometimes it happens 20 times on a day, sometimes 1 time or not. You can not trace it back to a specific handling. It is driving the end-user crazy. The only thing that helps for some time is changing the scaling of the monitor or change the placing of the monitor in the settings. Longest thing that helps is rebooting the computer.

- changed display drivers to latest version, older version. change other drivers like chipset
- reinstalled windows (3 times) even with an old version of windows. With and without drivers from manufacturer or with and without windows updates.
- changed hardware (dell laptop instead of hp; changed monitor and also changed vga cable)
- changed scaling. In windows, in intel drivers, monitor scaling, windows scaling, ....
- disabled fancy windows graphics settings

Uninstalled all software not needed. But nothing helps.

It seems that in the config pc with an external monitor directly connected to it you got this problem.

I even temporarily gave my own laptop and they got the problem. I worked on it on a docking with 3 external monitors and I didn't get the errors.

I only find sporadic other info about this. And tried everything proposed.

Display problem - menu is hidden behind gray bar of part of previous program is displayed on the bottom

https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/images/a4b82ace-c7f3-4eb6-b2fc-cd8c70ceda1a?upload=true

More...

Back