Windows 10 Having trouble getting the built-in OpenSSH server to work

• Thread starter Thread starter Diapolo10
  • Start date Start date
D

Diapolo10

Goal: I'm trying to set up the Windows built-in OpenSSH server (version 0.0.1.0, as I recall that being the latest one) in order to use my desktop PC remotely should I have the need for raw performance when on the road through a Windows 10 laptop.

Problem: Despite following the official guide (Installation of OpenSSH For Windows) to the letter, when I try to run "Start-Service sshd" in PowerShell I get this error:

Start-Service : Service 'OpenSSH SSH Server (sshd)' cannot be started due to the following error: Palvelun sshd avaamin

en tietokoneessa . epäonnistui.

At line:1 char:1

+ Start-Service sshd

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : OpenError: (System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController:ServiceController) [Start-Service],

ServiceCommandException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotStartService,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartServiceCommand

If I run the executable without "Start-Service", however, it runs and seemingly waits for connections, but according to the Services tab in Task Manager it's not actually doing anything at all, nor is there an SSH user account associated with it.

What I've tried:

• Restarting Windows (after every installation)
  • Uninstalling and re-installing both the server and the client (both from PowerShell and through the Settings application)
  • Switched to local account instead of a Microsoft account (suggested on a forum thread, tried the previous steps again)
  • Using an elevated PowerShell instance with admin rights

System information:

• Windows 10 Home, version 1809, build 17763.379
  • Hardware configuration:
    • CPU: i9-9900k @ 4.9GHz
    • RAM: 32GB 3200MHz DDR4
    • GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080
    • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A, BIOS version 0805

Let me know if other information is required.

More...