Windows 10 Slow creation of New Folder on network drive from Office apps since 1809 update

• Thread starter Thread starter GaryDrost
  • Start date Start date
G

GaryDrost

Creating a "New Folder" when using Wordpad, Word, Excel, used to take just a few seconds on all Windows 10 PC's running build 1803. Once build 1809 was installed, all of the Windows 10 PC's now take 30 seconds or more to create a New Folder from these applications. Creating a New Folder in Windows Explorer still only take a few seconds. Windows 7 PC's in the network are unaffected by this issue.

More detail - the network drive has 15,000+ subfolders under a parent folder called "Clients". I realize that this is a large number of folders at one level, however, the problem did not exist with build 1803 and started immediately after build 1809 was installed. I used one of the Windows 10 PC's that was still at 1803 as my test subject once I was aware of the problem. The problem affects all of the Windows 10 PC's in the network.

I will be replacing the Windows SBS 2011 server with a new Windows 2016 Server with SSD drives. As a test, I created a share on the 2016 server and copied all the files from the folder structure in question to it. The problem still exists when accessing the same folder structure on the new, fast server. Again, the Windows 7 PC's or Windows 10 pre build 1809 PC's do not have the problem.

I have tested disabling the Windows Search service with no change in outcome.

I have also broken the 15,000 folder list into 2 even parts of 7,500 folders each. There is a slight but not significant increase in the amount of time taken to create a new folder. It doesn't cut the time in half but it is quicker in creating a New Folder.

Any thoughts on what I can try?

More...

Back