Windows 8.1; Defender Update Error 80070714

• Thread starter Thread starter MartinPhon
  • Start date Start date
M

MartinPhon

I've been updating Defender almost every day since 2014 with a 99% success rate - failures have usually been due to ISP internet connection problems.

Since 16th. April 2019 - a week ago - I've had continual update failures, multiple times a day, with error code 80070714. Definitions haven't been able to update at all since that date, 7 days ago. Latest attempt to update was 2 minutes before asking this question here.

In Defender, when attempting to update, the progress bar shows the definitions downloading and then installing. However. at about the 98% completion mark in installation, the failure message comes up and reads " ... definitions didn't update ... because of an internet or network connectivity problem". However, there are no signs of 'internet connectivity problems' with other websites etc. in use concurrently.

I've made no changes whatsoever to my computer for many months.

Has anybody else experienced this problem in the past week? Any fairly simple solutions?

No 'nerdy' responses, please, much as I might appreciate your response - I use the computer as a tool and am really not interested in going into the more technical details of operation.

Many thanks.

More...

Back