Windows 10 Understanding the differences between UI shutdown [Start > Shut down] and commandline shutdown [shutdown /s /f /t 0]

• Thread starter Thread starter Vladimir Amir
  • Start date Start date
V

Vladimir Amir

Hi all. I've got to maintain a bunch of Lenovo workstations of previous generations (m71e, m81, m91p, etc...) which were upgraded to Windows 10. Workstations work fine except for one important thing.

When I shut down such PC, it does all the process but gets stuck (visually) just before turning off the power led. The same happens when the PC goes to sleep (power saving) mode, it won't wake up to work. In both cases i need to hold power button for 5-10 seconds to shut down the workstation and start it again. In case of sleep mode I either lose all data or I set OS power settings to "never sleep" (thus wasting power).

When I was trying troubleshooting the issue, I've noticed that when i use Windows 10 UI, it stuck. On the contrary, when i use "shutdown /s /f /t 0" the PC does the whole shutdown process correctly and turns off completely.

My guess that it has something to do with some PC power management command which is being processed during UI shutdown.

I ask for help in figuring out the differences to fix the shutdown trouble (whether by some registry or policy means, or by changing a BIOS setting), or to override this trouble by catching the UI process and silently running (powershell) command line instead of it.

Thanks.

More...

Back