Windows 10 Error: 0x800f081f The source files could not be found. .net framework 3.5 install error

• Thread starter Thread starter ScubadoobaStiv
  • Start date Start date
S

ScubadoobaStiv

Hi all

I recently had an issue installing .net framework 3.5. I was unable to add it via Programs and Features and none of the suggestions that i saw worked.

After searching forever and trying lots of different things, i stumbled across this reply in a thread that helped me solve the issue. I'm not sure if it is easily accessible where it is so i am posting it here.

The key bit of information (for me at least) was to use an ISO of Windows 10 that matched my current install- version wise. Using a 1709 ISO with my 1803 install caused my attempts to fail. Using like for like resolved the issue.

"

How to fix.

Download the Windows 10 1809 .iso file using the Microsoft media creation tool

Sign in as admin, run that tool, create media for another PC, download iso.

Once you have the .iso mount the iso (double click on it)

Open the command prompt as admin

Run this command

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:d:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

(d:\sources\sxs = use whatever the drive letter for the mounted .iso is)

This should work.

You MUST MUST MUST use the .iso for the version of Windows you are using... Microsoft checks. Version mismatch between the .iso and your PC and it will fail with some bogus error message and you will spend 3 days pulling your hair out and yelling at people on the internet trying to get a core feature of Windows working because Microsoft wants to play .net version Nazi.

-RW / Redwizzard001

More...

Back