I almost downloaded a virus, cancelled the download, the windows defender found it and an error message came up?

• Thread starter Thread starter fuggetaboutit
  • Start date Start date
F

fuggetaboutit

I was browsing the internet and end up on a site with a lot of popups that are obviously viruses. as I'm leaving the site, i notice a download is going on for a file called "This computer is BLOCKED.htm". the entire file size was downloaded (for example, 25.5 MB/25.5 MB) but the download wasn't being completed. i canceled the download and after a few minutes, i get a Windows Defender message saying it removed some malware. i checked the report and it turns out to be the very same file. i guess that's why it never completed despite downloading all the contents of the file- Windows Defender stopped it in its tracks. Windows Defender quarantined it but it also had an error. "The program could not find the malware and other potentially unwanted software on this computer." if WD couldn't find the malware then why does it say the malware was quarantined? Is this because i canceled the download? i cleared my cache on chrome (where i downloaded it) installed Malwarebytes and did a full scan with it and a quick scan on Windows Defender. The file seems to be gone but I'm still worried about the error message. am i in the clear?

More...

Back