Windows 10 Storage pool crashed when attempting to remove disk

• Thread starter Thread starter Fossie19732
  • Start date Start date
F

Fossie19732

Hi

I'm having pretty much the same problem as this guy.

I've set up a Storage pool with ReFS in an earlier version of Win 10 Pro. It uses 5 drives: 1x8TB, 1x6TB, 2x4TB, 1x2TB, and is set up with two-way mirroring sized at (I believe) 12TB.

Recently I started having problems with the 2TB drive and one 4TB drive, and I decided to remove them from the pool. The drives started disconnecting and reconnecting, so they fell out and back into the pool. I started by removing the 2TB drive (the proper way via "Manage Storage Spaces"), and was eventually able to, despite it falling out all the time. I confirmed the drive was empty (0% utilized) when it was removed. According to Manage Storage Spaces, the pool was now sized 10TB.

After removing the 2TB disk, I no longer had the option to remove drives in Manage Storage Spaces. However, I was offered an option to "upgrade this pool to enable new features". I did, and the option to remove drives appeared for all drives. I clicked "remove" on the bad 4tb drive, and that triggered a BSOD. The computer rebooted, and I went back into Manage Storage Spaces where I to my horror discovered that the pool was gone altogether (see pic below).

1453480.jpg

On Disk Management, the remaining disks do not show up. However, the 4tb disk I opted to remove (as well as the 2TB disk I already removed) showed up with unallocated space (see pic below). The other disks from the pool do not show up at all. They do appear in both bios and device manager though, and appear to be functioning there.

1453481.jpg

I restarted the computer multiple times to no avail, and I'm left with the question: Now what?? :)

Given the 2-way parity of the pool, only one disk has crashed out and I should be able to get the pool working again and allow me to add a new drive to get two-way mirroring going again, but how?

More...

Back