Windows 10 Storage Spaces Hanging

• Thread starter Thread starter CiscoKid85
  • Start date Start date
C

CiscoKid85

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone may have some insight here or may be able to assist. For the better part of four years I've been using Storage Spaces w/ an ReFS volume (parity) of around 16TB (2 x 8TB, 2 x 6TB), without issues. Recently I had a disk failure and had to replace the drive. Rebalance worked as expected and all data was accessible. I've slowly been adding content so I'm approaching the limit of the volume. I also read about integrity streams so I went through a process of enabling that recursively. Almost immediately I noticed severe issues where the workstation would just freeze and fail to respond. I was able to back out the changes and set all integrity streams to false.. Still the instability persists. I haven't had any issues reading the data but any writes to the volume cause the workstation to stop responding for for disk activity to drop to 0%.

I'm at a loss of where to go from here or where to troubleshoot. Perhaps it's time to ditch SS entirely and migrate to a NAS. Or add the three drives as requested, expand the volume and see if the additional free space helps the situation. At this point I'm using 23.6TB out of a 25.4TB pool w/ 15.9TB provisioned on the parity virtual volume. I'm at a loss to understand why any (large - 10GB+) writes to the volume crash the system and necessitate a reboot.

Does anyone have any insight on this or suggestions?

Thanks!

-Ryan

More...

Back