Windows 7 Windows 7 and classpnp.sys safe mode loop.

• Thread starter Thread starter Limbix
  • Start date Start date
L

Limbix

Hello,
First of all this is an outline to the system I am running.
Acer Aspire X1800
Brought as a Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit, has now been upgraded to the equivalent in Windows 7.
Intel® Core™2 Quad processor
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7100 and nForce® 630i
4 GB of DDR2 667/800 MHz SDRAM (single-channel support on two DIMMs)
Serial ATA hard disk 1 TB
AMI PnP BIOS compatible with SMBIOS 2.4

• PCI Express® 2.0 x16 slot
  • PCI Express® 2.0 x1 slot
    • Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce® 7100 graphics solution
PCI Express® 2.0 x16 graphics card support (low-profile)

I have been running Windows 7 now for some time a month or two and have no problems until now. I wanted to put my computer into safe mode so I can install the second disc of Fallout 3 Game of the year Edition. Frist of all I restarted the computer and used the F8 trick which did not work. The computer just booted into regular old Windows 7. So then I went through the msconfig way of things.
Now it is important to note that I had this problem when installing Fallout 3 on the same machine but running Vista. However the computer managed to "fix" it self back then.

The computer loads through all the drivers until it gets to C:\windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys
It stops loading here and tries to go into safe mode. The computer then comes up with a message saying entering Windows safe mode (or words to that effect) and lists some of the system details. The screen then changes to a blank screen with a mouse cursor in the middle of it. The computer then shuts down and begins to restart itself. It has gone into a infinite loop of restarts.

Ideas I have tried.

1. Pressing F8 brings up the boot menu, i have tried all options available in that. Nothing worked.
  2. Interrupting the start up with a fake power cut. This resulted in the computer showing two options. Start Windows normally and start Windows recovery. Neither worked.
  3. I have tried renaming the problem file C:\windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys to C:\windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.old
    This resulted in the computer loading until the next value C:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys The computer then did all the usual loading. However before restarting the it showed the dreaded blue screen of death. It was over before i could see the error message that it contained.
  4. I have tried resetting to a prior system date. this does not work either.
Other than that I have not been able to get into windows or anything else. The reason I am able to post this is a have access to another computer for the mean time.

Any ideas on this would very appreciated

Cheers

*EDIT*

Because the computer is Acer it should have a working E Recovery on it. However i can't remember if i deleted this or not. Will try using the hidden partition in the near future. This will most likely send me back to Vista but its a risk I am willing to take at this stage.

More...

Back