Malware, Ransomware, Bit-locker Security.

• Thread starter Thread starter Alien On Vacation
  • Start date Start date
A

Alien On Vacation

Hi. I recently lost 100,000 personal pictures and a lot of music I wrote for many years. I lost it to a ransomware, with a DOCM extension. I looked online and it said it was new and the encryption was done repeatedly up to 10 times deep. I happened to have ALL my backup usb hard drives attached that day. Yes. It was a total wipe of my life history. Since about 1990, it all went WAY BACK.

MY QUESTION is, I have since encrypted all the backup drives (fairly empty now) with Bit-locker security. Now, if I get a ransomware attack and the drive is LOCKED, I assume the files are safe? Since to the system they do not exist? The reason I am asking this is this ransomware hit that I got last month, was able to destroy a hard drive with a read only attribute on one partition; A Western Digital "My Book" drive. It corrupted the "CD read only" partition and the drive had to be re partitioned as on large drive. Before the attack that would have been impossible as it appeared as a CD.

So would a Bit-Locker USB drive locked but attached to the computer be safe? I sure hope so :D Let me know...

More...

Back