Windows 10 No Shadows in Build 1809

• Thread starter Thread starter Foofadoof
  • Start date Start date
F

Foofadoof

TLDR;
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\UserPreferencesMask is getting set to 9E 1E 07 00 12 00 00 00 when users log in after updating image to build 1809. Should be 9E 1E 07 80 12 00 00 00 based on everything I can find. Appears to enable/disable Shadows overall in Windows. What GUI or GPO setting would affect that entry? Is there a foreseeable problem with hard setting it for everyone? What else does that bit affect?

Full Text;
We recently switched our Windows 10 Image to build 1809 from 1709. Multiple users have reported that in 1809, File Explorer does not have the shadow or border. I understand the border removal is intentional from Microsoft's side, and that to re-enable it you can turn on the setting in personalization. The problem is that it forces the title bar to have a color as well and it looks hideous. However, the real problem is that even when the toggle boxes for Shadows under Windows or Shadows under Mouse are checked in Advanced System Settings->Performance->Settings, there are no shadows.

Through lots of forum browsing and research I found an article titled "Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10" (can't link since I'm unverified), which pointed me to the UserPreferencesMask registry key. I noticed that where they had a never changing 80 in the article, the people in my environment with issues had 00 in that key. Changing it to 80 solved my issue. However, I am weary of changing a registry key company wide without knowing what the affected bit does (25th binary digit from the left, which is listed as reserved in every description of this registry key). Can anyone point me to documentation or provide an explanation of what the bits in that registry do that doesn't just say "Reserved"?

More...

Back