Windows 10 Application causes Windows 10 Enterprise shutdown/restart issues

• Thread starter Thread starter Nick Fi
  • Start date Start date
N

Nick Fi

We have two Dell Optiplex 7050 with Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit (v1803, OS Build 17134.984)at work and we are running some custom software made by our company.

For various reasons, our application sometimes crashes. I close or kill the program that crashed and when I try to relaunch it, it will not start anymore. Every time I attempt to start the program, a new process is created, but there is no form appearing on screen as expected.

I suspect there are some bugs in our application. In order to be able to run again the application, I have to restart the computer. Here it is where it gets tricky. When I select either Restart or Shut-Down, Windows will close, the monitor screen becomes black, but the computer power led remains on. If I press the power button, the computer will not start. I have to either disconnect the power cord from the computer or to press the power button for ten seconds.

Our application worked fine on the Windows 7 computer (a Dell Optiplex 7010).

I recorded the processes on our computer when the software operates fine and after the software crashed and it can't be started and I can see what is different. The processes that are generated when I attempt to start the program multiple times can't be killed. We upgraded the motherboard BIOS and insured all the other drivers are up-to-date.

The question are - isn't Windows supposed to prevent the applications from affecting the OS functionality? If this is correct, then what could cause a crash in our program to affect the shut-down of the computer? Is it likely to be a hardware fault, a firmware bug (maybe the BIOS or drivers) or a OS bug?

How can I do a more detailed investigation, to diagnose and solve the problem (or at least find the root cause of it). Our computers are under warranty from Dell, but since we use our own Windows image and approved driver versions, we need to prove there is a hardware fault if we want them repaired. Since two different computers act the same way, I don't think it is a hardware fault.

Thanks,

Nick

More...

Back