Windows 10 No access to users one drive folders access denied

• Thread starter Thread starter sharepointisneedlesslycomplex
  • Start date Start date
S

sharepointisneedlesslycomplex

Hey there

So we redirected peoples desktop's using GPO to onedrive. So everyones desktop now roams around with them (Yay).

An unfortunate side effect of this seems to be that the folder where there desktop files sit is not accessible to anyone but themselves and system.

This creates problems when i have to clean up users profiles, either manually, or with something like a provisioning package that deletes the userprofile after 30 days. I go to delete a bunch of userprofiles to free up space on the disk and i get access denied on everyones desktop folders. So the next time the user logs in and creates a new profile, the profile will increment like Juser.1, and leaves a bunch of **** from the old user profile on the disk

The folders are not accessible to local administrators, domain administrators etc. I have tried applying custom folder permissions using GPO security folder settings but it does not take. The permissions are not changed.

How can i give administrator or domain admin access to users one drive desktop folder?

I cant imagine that there is not some setting to give admins access to the files in the redirected folder. I can change ownership on the files and gain access that way, but this is extremely time consuming and tedious to do over say 20 user accounts on a machine.

The path to these files is like %userprofile%/OneDrive - ORG NAME/Desktop

interestingly, the other folders under this directory, like say folders you are sharing in one drive, all have their permissions set correctly, with local admin having full control. Just the redirected desktop does not have that feature.

Hopefully someone has had this problem and can reply with some sort of solution. If i figure out a way around it i will post back. as I set setting the folder permissions with GPO does not seem to work.

More...

Back