Windows 10 Printers show up as "unspecified" in Windows 10 Pro

• Thread starter Thread starter TechAmerican
  • Start date Start date
T

TechAmerican

I have a Windows 10 Pro 1903 machine on a domain. Every other PC in the office can install printers by running the setup application provided by the vendor.

On the machine with this issue, installing any printers causes them to show up as "Unspecified" in the Devices and Printers section of Control Panel. The only printers are the printers installed by software (Microsoft XPS Document Writer, Send To OneNote 2016, Adobe PDF, Microsoft Print to PDF, and Fax).

I previously edited the registry entry under

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\2227a280-3aea-1069-a2de-08002b30309d

By editing that registry key, I was able to get the new printers to show up as "Unspecified". Before I changed the key, new printers wouldn't show up at all. I get no errors during the printer installation and the setup completes successfully. There are no group policies to auto-populate printers as I directly installed these printers on all the other PCs.

If I right-click the printer, nothing happens. There is no drop-down menu. When I use the Windows Troubleshooter for printers, it finds no issues.

More...

Back