Windows 7 Task Scheduler and the "Run only when user is logged in" parameter

• Thread starter Thread starter colin_e_uk
  • Start date Start date
C

colin_e_uk

I have a problem with the Task Scheduler related to (but not exactly the same as) that described in this thread .

The "Run only when user is logged on" parameter in task scheduler is badly labelled, and it's implications and usage are not clear from the user interface.

The Requirement

I use the Speedfan utility on my machine. This needs to run with admin privileges, so I set it up in the Task Scheduler to run "At log on of any user", and "Run with highest privileges". Note i am the only user with admin privileges on this machine, but I am happy to enter my password in the Task Scheduler to allow this task to run with admin privs.

The Problem

The option for "Run only when user is logged on" parameter is wonderfully ambiguous. It doesn't say whether it means:

1. Run only when the user named under the setting for "When running this task, use the following user account" is logged in, or-
  2. Run when ANY user is logged in.

In practice I find if I have "Run only when user is logged on", the task runs in the system tray as required, but it only works if I am the user logged in.

If I select "Run whether user is logged in or not", the task runs as a background process (a daemon in Unix terms) with no user interface, no use at all.

I have discovered from reading the forums (including the thread linked to above) that checking "Run whether user is logged in or not" implicitly forces the task to run as a daemon, with no UI. The fact that the Task scheduler interface makes no mention of this at all is not helpful.

The alternative has the task running only if one user (me) happens to be the person logged in. Not what is required.

Task scheduler -

1. Needs some work done on these badly labelled and ambiguous options.
  2. Seems to lask a required option for "Run Task when ANY user is logged on, and show a UI".

Is the latter point achievable?, or is task scheduler simply broken in this regard?

Regards: colin_e

More...

Back