Windows 10 Getting 2nd IE window when using IE as shell via Shell Launcher

• Thread starter Thread starter John Benninghouse
  • Start date Start date
J

John Benninghouse

I am using Shell Launcher to configure a kiosk device. I am using the MS PowerShell script (Shell Launcher) which checks to ensure that Shell Launcher is enabled and then sets Internet Explorer as the shell for a particular (domain) account which is logged on automatically. IE opens in kiosk mode and goes to a particular site.

When I start the computer, the account auto logs on as expected; an instance of IE opens in kiosk mode and goes to the designated website as expected. However, at logon I also get a 2nd IE window that is not in kiosk mode and goes to the home page (about:blank).

If I go into the registry, make a change, and then reboot, the stray IE windows does not appear. But when I simply reboot the computer, it returns.

It has something to do with the Shell Launcher as, if I remove the other changes I've made (on-screen keyboard, keyboard filter, turning off IE first run wizard & default browser check), that 2nd IE windows still appears. If I make change the shell to explorer.exe instead of eshell.exe (HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon) I do not get the IE window.

Has anyone seen this before?

Skip

More...

Back