Windows 10 Windows 10 user dictionary not synced (default.dic, default.exc, default.acl)?

• Thread starter Thread starter Qu4rkz
  • Start date Start date
Q

Qu4rkz

Whenever setting up a fresh Windows 10 installation, the "user dictionary" is populated with words typed many years ago.

These words seem to be stored in the Microsoft cloud and they are also written to local files default.dic, default.exc and default.acl in

...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Spelling\en-US

I always hit the "Clear dictionary" button which clears the list locally:

1497217.png

But it seems the clear does NOT clear the list that is stored in the Microsoft cloud because as I said, every time a new Windows 10 installation is done, the list reappears.

So maybe there is some bug in the syncing that it only downloads the list from the cloud but does not update it in the cloud?

I did a few tests with two fresh machines. First I made sure that in settings everything is setup properly to enable the syncing.

1. Inking & typing personalization is enabled

2. Language preferences sync is enabled

1497219.png

1497220.png

Then I added a few test words to the dictionary by using the onscreen keyboard on a tablet. I verified that the words appear in the local default.dic file on the tablet.

I expect that these words should appear as well in the default.dic files on the desktop machines after a while (if the syncing works). But they never appear on the other machine. This also explains why the list always reappears after reinstalling Windows 10 (because it is not cleared in the cloud).

This means there really is no syncing back to the cloud and thus to other devices??

Please can some dev comment on this?

These are fresh Windows 10 installations with latest updates so it should not be some issue with a corrupted installation.

Help is very appreciated!

More...

Back