Windows 10 Broken Windows 10 Store Apps

• Thread starter Thread starter xXJMOXx
  • Start date Start date
X

xXJMOXx

I have a user's machine where the photos app and a couple others will launch then crash. In the example of the Photos app, if you have photos set as the default viewer and double click a jpeg or png the app will launch, crash, and produces File System Error (-2147219196). Launching the app from the start menu the app momentarily appears and crashes.

Google-fu returns fixes like using the troubleshooter to reset the app, or powershell command

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

to re-register the application or even attempt to remove the app with:

get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

None of these have fixed the problem.

What is interest is if you do a:

Get-AppPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Photos

it doesn't return anything about the application. On my work machine when I run the command I get the following information:

Name : Microsoft.Windows.Photos
Publisher : CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US
Architecture : X64
ResourceId :
Version : 2019.19071.17920.0
PackageFullName : Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2019.19071.17920.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
InstallLocation : C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2019.19071.17920.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
IsFramework : False
PackageFamilyName : Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe
PublisherId : 8wekyb3d8bbwe
IsResourcePackage : False
IsBundle : False
IsDevelopmentMode : False
NonRemovable : False
Dependencies : {Microsoft.UI.Xaml.2.1_2.11906.6001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe,
Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.2.2_2.2.27912.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe,
Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.2.2_2.2.27328.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe,
Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.27323.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe...}
IsPartiallyStaged : False
SignatureKind : Store

If I navigate to the C\Program Files\WindowsApps folder on the problem computer I can see the three app folders for this application and everything looks fine in there.

If I open the Windows Store, the Store says it is installed.

I have installed Irfanview on this users computer for now as a work around, but I mentioned that the permanent fix may be either a reset or a reimage.

Anyone have any ideas?

More...

Back