Windows 10 No Access to USB / CD devices - "location is not available" "D:\ is not accessible" "Access is denied"

• Thread starter Thread starter Fozzy279
  • Start date Start date
F

Fozzy279

Hello - seen some other posts regarding problems accessing USB and CD drives in Windows 10, but noe so far have solved my problem.

The computer is joined to the domain, and runs various GPO's and also has symmantec endpoint protection running.

When I insert a USB drive or memory stick, the device appeares in file explorer OK - but when I try to open it, I get the message: "location is not available" "<drive letter>:\ is not accessible" "Access is denied"

Disable SEP, problem still there.If I log in as a local user, it works. I do have a policy which expressley ALLOWS access to USB devices for certain machines - and this GPO is being applied (GPresult shows GPO bein applied)

So looks like a GPO / Policy problem. Gone into GPO and local security policies and set the policies to allow access to the devices:

Computer Configuration > Administrative templates > system > Removeable storage access

CD and DVD: Deny execute Access: Disabled
CD and DVD: Deny read Access: Disabled
CD and DVD: Deny write Access: Disabled

Removeable disks: Deny execute Access: Disabled
Removeable disks: Deny read Access: Disabled
Removeable disks: Deny write Access: Disabled

... bhut still the devices are unreadable. Bog standard installation - no manufacturer apps.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance

R

More...

Back