Windows 10 Task Scheduler can't start a User Defined Data Collector on Windows 10

• Thread starter Thread starter johnrem
  • Start date Start date
J

johnrem

Hello and good day!

So what I'm trying to do seems very simple, but I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why I can't make it work. I'm wondering if this is a Windows 10 bug as I've tried to perform the exact same steps I will detail below on three (3) Windows 10 machines already and they all didn't work. But when I tried it on a couple of Windows Server 2016 machines, they work without a hitch.

Background:

Windows 10 Pro | 1809 | Build 17763.864

I set up a very simple perfmon User Defined data collector to monitor free space on my non-OS disk (i.e. D:) and trigger a cleanup task when it got to a threshold, and basically delete the oldest file on the disk. The data collector alert itself works flawlessly and triggers the cleanup task as expected - no problem there.

The issue I have is that I'm trying to trigger the perfmon data collector upon System Startup so I don't have to manually run it every time I shut down and start up the computer.

So naturally, I went to:

Task Scheduler > Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > PLA

From there, I see my Data collector, Open Properties, and set a Trigger > System Startup

So I restart the PC to test - my Data Collector did not start. Looking at Task Scheduler, the task's Last Run time corresponds correctly to the restart time. Last Run Result is (0x0) which I believe means no error encountered, and no error on the Task History.

When I tried to manually trigger the task, the Status will change from Ready to Running, and a split second later (pressed F5 to refresh), it's back to Ready. Still no error on the Task History, and the Last Run time and Last Run Result will imply that the task ran successfully. But the data collector still did not start.

When starting the Data collector from Perfmon console manually, the task status on the "Task Scheduler > PLA" will remain Running (the expected behavior).

I did the same thing over three (3) Windows 10 computers now. Two (2) from my work environment, and the other one is my personal computer at home. All running Windows 10 1809.

Out of curiosity, I tried to do the exact same thing on Windows Server 2016, tried to literally match each step. And the startup trigger works perfectly.

So now I don't know what. Or maybe I'm banging my head on a Windows 10 limitation? :D

Any ideas?

Thank you.

More...

Back