Windows 10 Windows 10 started to see multiple partitions on removable drives?

• Thread starter Thread starter Martin Pecka
  • Start date Start date
M

Martin Pecka

I'm running a release version of Win10 (1709 now) , and I have the feeling that either the 1709 or 1703 update brought the possibility to see and mount all partitions even on removable drives. This was not possible before, you could only see the first partition. I'm just not sure when it started happening, so I can't blame any particular update.

What's weird - I can't google any info about this feature. Do you know if it was officially announced somewhere, or can you at least confirm it also works at other computers?

For a long time I've had an SD card with 2 partitions, which is always inserted in my notebook. I was used to only see the first partition, but now I can also see the other partition automatically mounted. I know that there are some hacks to see all partitions, but they require either installing an unsigned device driver, or using a utility that flips a bit in the firmware of the removable drive. I'm not aware of doing any of these things. And, I can also see all partitions of my USB pendrive, which also wasn't possible before.

Not sure if (cor)related, but my SD card started to receive a readonly flag from time to time (mainly after waking up from sleep). This also did not happen before, but I'm not sure if this issue started at the same time as the possibility to see all partitions. No errors in event log, diskpart cannot clear the flag, but ejecting and reinserting (and sometimes chkdsk) fixes the SD card so I can write to it again. First, I was worried that the card or the reader are defect, but chkdsk never finds anything wrong with the card (except the dirty flag).

More...

Back