Windows 10 Virtual desktops switches desktop automatically and unwantedly when opening/closing applications

• Thread starter Thread starter Kind_typer
  • Start date Start date
K

Kind_typer

Hi!

It's great that virtual desktops are a native feature in Windows 10. I have a problem with the desktops with certain applications which I describe in the following. I open e.g. a Microsoft Excel document in desktop 1 and then move focus to desktop 2 (which is empty). If I then open another Excel document in desktop 2, it switches automatically to desktop 1 where the other excel document is open and opens the document there.

This behavior is infuriating. I work on many different projects during the day and may have to switch between them quickly. I would like to keep the documents of project A on desktop 1 and the documents of project B on desktop 2 and so on. Of course I can move the windows between the desktops to organize them, but this automatic switching is very annoying and sometimes causes confusion of which document belongs to which project.

At least Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe Acrobat behave this way. (Also File explorer behaves this way if I open the same folder in another desktop.) Is this automatic switching caused by the applications or is it a feature in the virtual desktops itself?

More...

Back