Windows 10 Windows 10 does not sync roaming profile when Defender Firewall is turned on

• Thread starter Thread starter schlimpf
  • Start date Start date
S

schlimpf

Hi everyone,

I have an odd issue with one of our client workstations. We have a setup with Windows Server 2016 and roaming profiles set up, including folder redirections for some of the user's folders like Desktop and Documents.

One of the workstations seems to have stopped correctly syncing the roaming profile with the server. Login for users take longer than usual showing "waiting for user profile service". After the login screen disappears, a note is shown saying the user was logged on with a local copy of the server's profile because it could not be properly synced.

The Windows event log has entries with event ID 1509 saying that a file could not be copied from the server to the machine because that file is used by another process. The file in question is always the first file/folder (alphabetically) in the users roaming profile folder. I have verified this by adding/removing additional files from the servers profile.

I believe the problem started with update 1809, but I cannot really correlate this. In the meantime I have updated to 1909, but the problem persists. It also does not matter which user logs on or how big the user's profile is. Even small profiles of the size of a couple megabytes do not properly sync.

I have tried many things already, like deleting a user's roaming profile from the server. I even exchanged the network card without success.

Now I have recently found out that if I disable the Windows Defender Firewall on the workstation, the profiles sync without any issues. After that, I wanted to find out what it is that is blocked by the firewall, so I enabled logging in the firewall. Surprisingly, there was not a SINGLE entry about anything blocked.

I am left without a clue what is going on. Did anyone experience anything like this or has any suggestions how I can further investigate this?

Thanks,

Mario

More...

Back