Windows 10 Win10 System Restore points disappear whenever I boot to Win7

• Thread starter Thread starter CookyMonzta
  • Start date Start date
C

CookyMonzta

I have Windows 10 Pro on a PCIe SSD, and Windows 7 on a SATA 3.0 hybrid drive.

This is my Win10 disk setup. Notice that I have my Win7 drive hidden from my Win10 desktop (i.e., no drive label for Win7).

Here is my Win10 System Properties. Win7 Protection is OFF.

Here is my Win10 System Protection setup, with 4% of my drive reserved for System Restore.

The Win10 Dual Boot screen, before I boot to Win7:

This is my Win7 disk setup. Notice that my Win10 drive is hidden from my Win7 desktop.

Here is my Win7 System Properties. Win10 Protection is OFF.

Here is my Win7 System Protection Setup, with 1% reserved for System Restore.

Now, here is what happens when I reopen Win10:

As you can see, booting into Win7 causes my Disk Space Usage in Win10 to be erased. It was set at 4% before I booted into Win7.

As a result, my System Restore points are also erased:

If I reset my Disk Space Usage in Win10, it will stay put, so long as I keep booting into Win10. But once I boot to Win7, it is erased, and I lose all my System Restore points. I haven't checked with my Win7 System Restore points as thoroughly, but I think it is also happening in reverse, with my Win7 System Restore points disappearing and my Disk Usage setting reverting to zero whenever I boot to Win10.

So, how do I keep my System Protection settings from being erased, whenever I boot from one operating system to the other?

Should I assign a drive letter to the inactive operating system (for example, if I have Win10 open, I should assign B: to my Win7 drive)?

Should I turn my protection ON for the inactive operating system (for example, if Win10 is open, I should turn on my Win7 system protection and assign disk usage space to it)?

Should I do both? Does it require the same procedure as when dealing with Win7 Restore points in a dual-boot setup with WinXP? What am I missing here? :-(

[By the way, I installed Win7 first (to my hybrid), then Win10 (to my PCIe SSD), while my Win7 drive was still connected. Nevertheless, I got 2 separate System Reserved partitions (one for each). I forgot the procedure I performed (which I found on the Web) to isolate them both from one another to prevent the onset of overlapping rewrites and blue-screen errors.]

More...

Back