Windows 10 Desktop Icons and Taskbar icons flashing constantly - only when PDFs icons are present

• Thread starter Thread starter _Wilfred_R
  • Start date Start date
W

_Wilfred_R

Hello,

I have an incredibly strange issue. Whenever I open Windows Explorer, and navigate to a folder that has a PDF document in it, all icons flash continuously. Including desktop icons, taskbar icons, and icons next to file names in explorer. This does NOT happen if I navigate to a folder that does not include any PDF files. Same thing occurs if I save a PDF file on my desktop. Originally, I suspected that it was an issue with default programs. So I deleted Microsoft Edge and set Adobe Acrobat DC as the default for all file types it could open. Here are some of the other solutions I have attempted:

- Start in safe mode (still occurs)

- Delete iconcache.db and restart explorer process

- Delete all iconcache files in user/local/appdata/microsoft/windows/explorer

- uninstall any other software that can open PDFs, other than Adobe Acrobat DC

- Ran an sfc scan

- Uninstall Adobe Acrobat DC

All latest Windows 10 Pro updates are installed. I have ruled out this being a hardware acceleration or driver issue, considering it only occurs when explorer is open and in a folder that has a PDF in it - no other file types cause the blinking of the icons. As soon as i close the folder, the blinking stops. This has happened two other times, and each time it occurred after I opened a PDF in Edge or Chrome, and then reset the default back to Acrobat. The ONLY solution that has worked for me is to recreate my profile, however, that involves reinstalling all programs and a few days of work to get the profile back to where i need it to be.

More...

Back