Windows 10 Application launch behavior mismatch in Multi-App Kiosk mode

• Thread starter Thread starter klnr
  • Start date Start date
K

klnr

Hi All,

I am facing an issue with the launch behavior of a desktop application in Multi-App Kiosk Mode. In short, Application launches as expected in Admin Mode but in Kiosk Mode, it fails to launch the same way as it does in Admin mode.

In the below screenshot, application when launched in Kiosk Mode will show white background , ideally it should launch an interactive black shell window where users will be able to key in credentials to login to application.

1526701.png

Below is the detailed scenario I am trying to implement,

I am able to apply Multi-App kiosk mode for Windows 10 1909 environment successfully except for the application issue as stated above. I am creating XML file and adding it to the provisioning package. Deployment is being performed using SCCM Task Sequence.

On Windows 10 version 1909 build, below two accounts are created

1. Name : "Admin"
2. NAme : "Local User"

While "Admin" is configured to be part of Local Administrators group , "DCops" is set as a standard user and will be operating in "Multi-App Kiosk Mode".

"Multi-App Kiosk Mode" is currently set using the method "Set MultiApp Kiosk Mode" defined by Microsoft as per the link below

After looking at the logs created by the application, it says that the Application in Kiosk mode is not able to access few .dll files and doesnt have permission to access the path : C:\programdata and few other folders where the application is trying to place the installation files.

To analyse more about the issue , I logged in to Admin account and looked at the properties of the Application folder in "C:\programdata" and found that the standard user doesn't have Read or Read/Write or Modify or Execute access except for a tick mark beside the option "Special Permissions". I then tried to manually provide the access to standard user account, although it appears that they are applied, application launch behavior is not as similar to Admin Mode.

I am not sure why users in Kiosk mode are not able to read the application files that are placed by the application. How can we enable permissions for Kiosk mode users for application related issues as stated above. Also I am trying to run few VB/powershell scripts which have Active setup defined for the current user( in this case Kiosk user) and observed that Active setup keys are also not running.

Kindly help !

Narasimha Reddy K

More...

Back