Windows 10 Troubleshooting restart failure after MS patches

• Thread starter Thread starter Ian Burnell
  • Start date Start date
I

Ian Burnell

Our estate is most HP Elitebooks running Windows 10 1803 deployed via SCCM build

Each month a few machines are failing to restart after applying the monthly patches - I've just had it myself. So patches are deployed via SCCM/WSUS which gives the user a 3 hour countdown. Normally when you restart you get the normal do not not turn off your computer 15/20/25% etc. but for some the devices upon restart it displays the the HP Surestart screen and you see the spinning progress dots and that is it - it never gets up to windows 10 logon. I have two issues therefore first is to get the damn thing up and second to actually troubleshoot WHY it is happening

I have a case open with HP because using our customised image you cannot get into safeboot via F11 - generally if it can be brought up via safe boot and then do a standard shutdown/restart it seems to sort itself out. Second and the reason for this post is to try and identify the underlying cause of the problem. Are there any specific event viewer logs or information I can use to diagnose

Thanks

Ian Burnell, London (UK)

More...

Back