Windows 10 Windows Explorer: is there a way to find files that contain certain value via usual Search function?

• Thread starter Thread starter Kamokoba
  • Start date Start date
K

Kamokoba

I wanted to get clarification whether the file extension affects Windows Explorer search results.

For example, I have a directory "A" which contains several dozens of files with .xml extension.

I know, that some of these files' contents contain a string "server".

When I type "server" in the search bar of Windows Explorer, I immediately get the list of the files that contain string "server" (it should be noted, that the search finds "server" string only if this string is between XML tags <> )

Now, suppose I have another directory which contains several dozen of files with .cfg extension.

I know that some of these .cfg files contain a string "server". To be exact, they contain string which looks like this:

server[0]=10.1.10.1:12758

If I type "server" in Windows Explorer search function while being in the directory which contains .cfg files, no items are found at all.

I just want to double-check if Windows Explorer search function is able to retrieve values that are stored between XML tags, or is there some workaround to find certain values contained within certain files via the usual Windows Explorer function?

I am about to write a PowerShell script to retrieve certain values stored within files, but first I want to make sure whether some built-in solution does not already exist.

To clarify, I am searching for values stored within the files, not within the filenames.

thank you

More...

Back