Windows 10 How to restore Start Menu, Jump Lists and the full-fledged operation of the Settings window in Windows 10?

• Thread starter Thread starter levgorin1
  • Start date Start date
L

levgorin1

I used the instruction Reinstall Windows 10 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall) 19-Jan-20, I used the “Reinstall Windows 10 using installation media” type reinstall with “Keep Everything (Default)” option.

The reasons I needed the reinstallation are as follows. There were crashes on the system HDD, after fixing which the icons of some programs disappeared on the Task Bar, in particular, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Store, Mail. Moreover, the programs themselves opened and worked. But I often received messages from the OS about system HDD failures. I decided to replace the system HDD, made cloning from it to a new HDD and turned it on. Crash messages have stopped, but the disappeared icons have not recovered. And then I decided to do Reinstall Windows 10.

The result of the reinstallation. All my applications were preserved, as promised, but I lost some of the things that are very important to me:

1) I lost the Start Menu, through which I launched the application and opened the Settings window

2) I have lost Jump Lists

3) In the Settings window, the search does not work and there is no its icon on the Task Bar.

Attempts to recover. I was looking for ways to recover online and in forums, but I couldn’t do anything. I assume that many of the recovery tips worked previously, but now, after some changes in Windows 10, have stopped working. The use of complex PowerShell commands did not fix anything, and some of them only hurt, deleted Windows Photo Viewer, for example.

How to recover the lost? Advise please! Is it possible to re-install Reinstall Windows 10 so that everything is preserved: all my applications, and Start Menu, and Jump Lists, and restore the full operation of the Settings window. Is it possible? Or are there any other ways?

More...

Back