Windows 10 Win 10 Search field in Windows explorer

• Thread starter Thread starter JasonB_TriSource
  • Start date Start date
J

JasonB_TriSource

I have a machine, where the user commonly navigates to a folder, and uses the Windows search field to search for documents in that folder. At least 4 days a week, at some point, she will click the search field and the cursor does not appear in the box. She can't type anything in it to do a search.

She can click and click and swear at it, the cursor never appears in the box and she cannot type in it.
Rebooting will restore it to working order... until the next time.
We have rebooted many times.
We have run all available Windows updates that Windows update finds.
I had a look at the Windows Search service in services.msc and it is set to start automatically, restart on first failure, restart on second failure, and restart on subsequent failures.
We have rebuilt the index in the Indexing Options screen.
We have run the Searching and Indexing Troubleshooter, it does not find an issue.

Windows 10 Pro

version 1909

OS build 18363.592

I am not aware of any changes that caused this. The machine was deployed in mid Oct and the issue appeared in Oct. I cannot verify that it was ever not an issue. With the issue being intermittent, it's hard to get a exact date on it.

We ARE connected to a domain, corporate environment.

AND when it occurred again this time, I got into Services.msc to see if Windows Search was running, and it was. I stopped and restarted the service, and that did nothing to affect the issue. The search bar on the taskbar would still open up like it would search. So maybe it's a Windows Explorer issue that is affecting the Search field?

I'm running out of ideas.

More...

Back