Windows 10 Bitlocker encryption - recovery key doesn't work, nor password, everything locked.

• Thread starter Thread starter SaucepanWoman
  • Start date Start date
S

SaucepanWoman

Hi, I'm an English teacher and the IT guy at school said we all had to encrypt our memory sticks etc. I said I didn't feel comfortable just going ahead (I hate IT and everything goes wrong for me and usually remains an unresolved problem) but he said we had to, and just go ahead and encrypt, following instructions. A colleague had just done hiss so I said, you watch me do this and it seemingly went fine. I carried on with my lessons and a message at some point popped up (I hadn't removed the disk knowingly at all) saying 'encryption completed'. I had entered a new password and at the end of the day, assumed when I pressed 'save' on ppt, it would. I followed the tech guy's instructions, with my colleague, to the letter. I put the memory stick back into the drive to load something I'd forgotten to print out and it asked for the password. I entered it and nothing happened - no enter/return possible. I got the recovery key and entered that on the options for bitlocker recovery key- nothing. It either just gets 'stuck' or fails to enter at all. (password AND/or Recovery key) The tech guys took the memory stick from me and tried everything the next day- then gave up and said 'Don't know. Can't work out the problem so looks like you'll have lost everything.The password you said you entered was right and recovery key is right one but it is just not having it. Sorry." I'm gutted. I've got ALL my teaching resources on that disk and that WAS the back-up, because a different IT problem corrupted my main files on a different laptop at a different school- hence me having them on the spare stick with me that day and being reluctant to have to encrypt the disk when I didn't have any other back up or time to do one, if I was going to go ahead with my lessons.

It's all very well the IT guy saying 'sorry, we've done all we can do. We have no idea what went wrong or why.' but I've not stopped crying and raging since it happened. I can't face the prospect of not only a) losing all those years' worth of work, but b) having to do it all over again, for what will take years to replace (and never adequately), and constantly being c) gutted and angry that I'm trying to re-create something I'll never do as well, or the same, again. I feel like just quitting my job rather than go through that again (this sort of thing happened 10 years ago, and I'd only just replaced most of that lost data and now all that replacement work has gone - along with most of my life and hours to come it seems.)

Does anyone know what might have happened and how I fix it? Recovery key does not do a thing. And the password is correct, but again, doesn't allow access to the disk?

More...

Back