Windows 10 How to setup Backup/Restore after system restoration

• Thread starter Thread starter SnookRed
  • Start date Start date
S

SnookRed

I've been using the Backup/Restore (Windows 7) feature to selectively backup only what I consider to be user work product data. This data is all on a secondary drive (i.e., NOT the C: drive). I recently experienced a computer failure that did NOT affect any of my drives. Having now rebuilt the system and wanting to put it back into operation I'd like to reinstate Windows Backup.

At this point, I've reused the computer name of the failing machine. Inspection of the backup media indicates that the computer name is used as the main (root) folder name for the files stored on the backup media coming from that computer. Since I want to setup (turn on) backup for the same data (i.e., drive & folder structure) as was being backed up by the failing computer I'm NOT at all confident that Windows Backup will function properly in this scenario (i.e., use case). In that, can it figure out what files are already on the backup media and only add newly created ones.

It occurs to me that maybe I need to create a new name for the computer and start over. Then once the initial long running backup is completed I might possibly be able to delete the prior backup data. Another possibility might be to rename that root folder on the backup media and then similarly start with a fresh new backup using the old name. Of course if Windows Backup had considered this use case then maybe all I should need to do is turn the backup on and let it figure out what new files might need to be added to the existing backup media.

I've been using Windows backup for some time but, fortunately I suppose, I've never needed to perform a data restoration. As a result this is something that has always been kind of out of sight and out of mind. I'd be most grateful for advice from people who really know how Windows Backup will work in my situation.

More...

Back