New laptop mishap - Please help

• Thread starter Thread starter Louise0210
  • Start date Start date
L

Louise0210

Hi,

My new, much anticipated laptop arrived on Wednesday. I bought the Office 365 Personal and McAfee Total Protection with the laptop. On Wednesday evening I started to set up the laptop, entering all the necessary details and connecting to my BT internet (possibly where I went wrong) I then tried to redeem the Office 365 voucher using the web address on the back of the card with came with the laptop. I came up with an error message saying that the code had been redeemed however could not download.

I clicked on the Live Chat option on that page and was told that someone would call me. I waited for 35 mins and eventually went back on the live chat and asked if I should down load the McAffee voucher while I waited. I was pinged a link for this and so followed the instructions and download this voucher to.

I eventually called the UK number on the error page as an hour had now passed. I spoke to an Asian man who treated me like a child and explained that I now had a virus or something in my laptop that was stopping everything working including the download of my Office 365.

He explained that I would have to allow remote access to let a technician to work on the pc for approx. 60 mins to remove the virus/blockage

He did tell me that name of what was causing the issue, I can't remember it though :o(

When I switch on the laptop there's only a black screen and when I go into settings to try and click on 'update and security' the screen disappear. It won't let me click on any of the icons.

I'm completely devastated and desperate to try and fix this. They were trying to get me to pay £99.99 to repair it for me.

Can anyone help??

Louise

More...

Back