Can't get rid of virus - freesoundrecorder + chromium

• Thread starter Thread starter rsid97
  • Start date Start date
R

rsid97

Recently I downloaded a freesoundrecorder software and since then I have been having a number of virus issues :

- Upon starting up my laptop, a blue colored chrome tab called chromium automatically opens

- A software called chromium seems to have installed itself in the list of softwares under control panel

- A notification keeps popping up on the bottom right hand side of my screen saying that freesoundrecorder has an update

- Clicking the update just opens up a spam page which gets blocked by my virus guard

- Multiple ms-word tabs open by themselves when starting up the laptop

I have tried uninstalling and deleting all the folders and traces of the chromium and freesoundrecorder files in the laptop by uninstalling them via the control panel. However, there was also some empty folders under the freesoundrecorder name left over in the documents section so I deleted that too.

I also tried scanning with defender, but nothing showed up. So I tried using malwarebytes which detected that freesoundrecorder may have been a virus and it has been quarantined but the problems still exist. Everytime that update notification website tries to open up, malwarebytes does block it, but that's about it, it doesn't seem to sort out the problem. I have tried updating all my software on my laptop as well, still no change.

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me how to get rid of the virus

More...

Back