Windows 10 Window's stops me from editing registry values

• Thread starter Thread starter Just let me edit registry please
  • Start date Start date
J

Just let me edit registry please

I just reluctantly moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Original trigger: I edit jpg and CR2 (RAW) type files as a pair. Now in win10, it shows the pretty much identical preview of the photo AND it also opens the CR2-file when I go through the pictures. This causes me extra work and loss of sanity when I have to go through the same picture twice.

Thus: I want only Photoshop to recognize CR2 extension.

I tried to fix the problem like I would've tried in Win7. Go to registry and remove CR2 from known system file extension. I'm open to other sort of solution too, if it removes CR2 preview picture in A) folder view and B) Photo preview. I don't mind if it goes everywhere else too, as long as it works in Photoshop.

It was rather easy to find possible place to fix it: Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{41945702-8302-44A6-9445-AC98E8AFA086} (I have backups ready if it doesn't work). But when I try to save the edited value it says "Cannot edit FileExtension: Error writing the value's new contents." I'm running it as admin and I've tried to give myself more permissions. In the root I've already set the admin as owner with full permissions, but the exact branch it doesn't allow me to make any changes to editing permissions. What am I missing?

PS
this service's user terms documentation gave me 404!
There was nothing I could agree to.

More...

Back