Windows 10 Foto App broken and i cant fix it - Error -2147219196 - Windows.UI.Xaml.dll

• Thread starter Thread starter weltvonalex
  • Start date Start date
W

weltvonalex

Hello Guys, I have some troubles and I really need your help. In some instances the Foto-App and the Calculator and sometimes all Windows-Store-Apps stop working.
After opening them they close immodestly or in the case of the Foto-App, when I open a picture I get the Error Message "File System Error -2147219196"
Here is all the information I have and what I tried to solve it.

Version:
Windows 10 Pro - 1809, 1709, and 1909
Description:
When you open Foto-App is closes immediately, sometimes it happens to the Calculator App as well and in some seldom cases the whole windows store stops working

Screenshot:
I don’t have a Screenshot but i have a error message in the event viewer.

Calculator
Faulting application name: Calculator.exe, version: 10.1812.1901.4008, time stamp: 0x5c304989
Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.18362.356, time stamp: 0x0825b5b0
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x0000000000712cf0
Faulting process id: 0x1518
Faulting application start time: 0x01d568dbe3b0f42c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1812.10048.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Calculator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
Report Id: 23d86f95-8eec-407b-b52c-86043d6d0426
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1812.10048.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Foto-App

Faulting application name: Microsoft.Photos.exe, version: 2019.19011.19410.0, time stamp: 0x5c7d9545
Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.17134.376, time stamp: 0x35659a8d
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x00000000006a56b2
Faulting process id: 0x1d0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4def91242d2b0
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2019.19011.19410.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Microsoft.Photos.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
Report Id: 844f8b13-bab7-4f73-9571-e1a55c9252a4
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2019.19011.19410.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

After trying some fixes I broke the Windows Apps totally and the messages stopped.
I almost always have the a entries that points to "Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll"

Steps to reproduce:
I can recreate it every time on different machines.
I login as a Admin
I go to the Users Folder rename the a user folder (as example “Alex” to “Alex-old”)
Then I delete in the registry the key that corresponds with to the User Profile Alex.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Afterwards I login with the Alex and after that the Foto App stops working.
Like I said in some cases the calculator also stops working but not always. The Foto-App stops working every time.

Reproduction rate:
When I do the previous steps its 100%.

System specs:
HP Elitebooks, 840G3,G4,G5, G6 and X360 1030g2-g4. I5-I7, Intel Video. All Drivers are up to date.

Attempted Solutions:
I tried almost everything I found on this issue.
I did as Admin and as a normal User who has no Admin rights.
And I tried on different Clients, because after doing all the steps on the same test client the machine was totally broken. :)
- Reset the App - still broken
- Reset the Windows Store - still broken
- Removed the Application from the Add-Remove Software and
- I did the Re-Register via PowerShell
„ Get-appxpackage -packageType bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + "\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml")}
$bundlefamilies = (get-appxpackage -packagetype Bundle).packagefamilyname
get-appxpackage -packagetype main |? {-not ($bundlefamilies -contains $_.packagefamilyname)} |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + "\appxmanifest.xml")}””

- wreset.exe - still broken

- I took Ownership of the Folder "Windows App" and made the User a principal but I also checked if the Group Applications Packages is the principal.
Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-to-start-if-default-registry-or-file-permiss
>> still broken

- I installed all Updates >> still broken
- I installed Photos Media Engine Add-on >> still broken
- I checked KB4524147 >> still broken

- I tried the Powershell Commands described in this Link.
(Sorry thats way too much to copy and post it here)
>> still broken

- Tried to register Windows.UI.Xaml.dll >> still broken
- Changed DPI Settings >> still broken
- Reinstalled the Video Driver >> still broken
- Reinstalled Photo.DCL.MediaEngine >> still broken
- DotNet Reinstall and Update >> still broken
- I tried the Scripts described here
>> still broken

- I was kind a desperate so i tried sfc /scannow >> still broken
- I tried the Dism.exe Tool >> still broken
- I stopped the AntiVirus Scanner >> still broken
- I checked the time settings and time zone >> still broken

What I haven’t done yet:
Using a standard Windows 10 Client with all updates to test the issue

I have no real clue where to look.
I think there is a issues with the access rights but I am not sure, something in the direction of GUID issues.
In a Github comment someone mentioned that windows is very stingy when there are some issues with that.

Or do I miss something when we recreate the profile?
I found a Microsoft article on how to recreate a profile but the steps there do not really apply in our environment but in general its similar to my steps.

And we did the recreation a lot of times without any issue in the past. Maybe MS changed something that’s not that easy anymore?

As you can see I invested some time, i tried a lot but I can’t figure it out how to UN-break it. And i don’t want to reinstall the whole system every time a Application corrupts a profile or someone is marrying and changing his name.

More...

Back