Windows 10 UASPStor warning repeats itself and Open/Save operations freeze temporarily when USB3 portable HD plugged into desktop

• Thread starter Thread starter CookyMonzta
  • Start date Start date
C

CookyMonzta

My desktop machine has both Windows 10 Pro and Windows 7 Pro in dual-boot mode, with Win10 on an mSATA SSD in a PCIe card, and Win7 on a laptop-sized hybrid hard drive.

As far as I know, for once both operating systems are running smoothly (I have had to reinstall several times beforehand); but there is one exception: Whenever I plug my 2TB Seagate Expansions portable hard drive into a USB 3.0 port...

446102_648022_05_front_zoom.jpg

...any operation in Windows 10 that involves opening or saving a file, window or Web page stalls for a good 2 to 6 seconds before completion

At the time, I didn't know if any device or the OS itself was the cause or the symptom of the problem, and this problem doesn't occur in Windows 7 or on my Windows 10 Pro laptop. It wasn't until I checked the Event Viewer that I discovered the correlation between this problem and a warning that repeated itself endlessly.

The source is UASPStor, and the Event ID is 129, and Event Viewer spits out a warning twice a minute; the first warning is followed by another one 6 seconds later, then repeats itself just about 54 seconds later. Again, I don't see this on my laptop or on my desktop in Windows 7.

I didn't know how much of a recurring nuisance this was, and whether it would stop at any point, until I unplugged my Seagate portable drive and checked the Event Viewer again. The regeneration of warnings stopped cold.

I have a Dyconn dual hard drive docking bay (USB 3.0) with 2 Seagate desktop hard drives inserted...

432468_488981_04_front_zoom.jpg

...and I have never had a UASPStor issue with this device or with Win10 whenever I plugged this device, or even a USB flash drive, into a USB port.

Take a look at these images from my Event Viewer. I created first one 5 minutes before I plugged the Seagate Expansion portable drive into a USB3 port:

1127733.jpg

Here's the second image, with a shot of my Event Viewer 5 minutes after I plugged the hard drive into the USB port:

1127734.jpg

The repetitive warnings alone would not have been an issue, but unfortunately when this external drive is plugged in, either the drive itself, or the drive and a Win10 file (presumably UASPStor.sys), interfere with any Open or Save operation I execute, stalling the procedure for anywhere from 2 to 6 seconds. And again, I don't have this problem with my laptop, which also has Win10.

Is it possible that I have a faulty or corrupted UASPStor.sys file? And how do I replace it, if the normal procedure of replacing it with a known functional file (in this case, I'd replace it with a copy of UASPStor.sys from my laptop) is impossible? What would happen if I downgraded UASPStor.sys (the latest, created 3/18/2017) to an earlier version? Could the problem be related to another file that I have yet to discover?

By the way, I tried sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth (or /ScanHealth or /RestoreHealth). No luck.

Is there anything else I could try to find and fix this problem? Reinstalling this OS is not an option, since I have done this on too many occasions over the years with Win7 and Win10 whenever a serious problem has occurred that threatened to corrupt my setups, and this is the most stable setup I have ever had. Once more, my external hard drives are plug-and-play drives, with no hardware drivers involved.

More...

Back