'Virus and threat protection' turns itself off

• Thread starter Thread starter bigproblem_01
  • Start date Start date
B

bigproblem_01

Hi,

I have Windows 10 pro.

Today, 'Virus and threat protection' turned off by itself. Restarting it from the Windows Security window didn't work; the restart button didn't give any feedback and after a while threw some error which I don't remember the wording off. So I had to go to services and manually start the 'Windows Defender Antivirus Service".

After starting that, the 'Virus and threat protection' stayed on for several minutes and then went back to being off.
I did this several times and every time it turns itself off.

While looking for solutions, I noticed that my 'Windows Defender Security Center Service' is missing altogether from the services list. I don't know how to bring it back but I'm guessing my problem may be connected with this.

so far:

• I check policies, windows defender isn't off from there
  • I checked the registry of Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender and there's no registry disabling the Windows Defender there
  • I also checked Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend and Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SecurityHealthService and Start has values of 2 and 3 respectively.
  • I ran these
    • regsvr32 atl.dll
    • regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    • regsvr32 softpub.dll
    • regsvr32 mssip32.dll
  • the first three successfully ran while the fourth one doesn't show up at all.

Can anyone help me with this please?

More...

Back