Windows 10 Unable to disconnect from mapped network drive

• Thread starter Thread starter RMI_Howard
  • Start date Start date
R

RMI_Howard

I receive the following error when I try to disconnect from a self mapped network drive: "network connection does not exist"

The network drive icon appears with a big red "x" and says it is disconnected, yet I can double click on it to enter the mapped folder. Doing this does not reconnect the folder, and remains disconnected. This causes problems because programs that pointed to this path are unable to read the files. I am unable to remap this drive because the associated drive letter (E:) and mapping no longer shows up in the list.

I've tried all the typical suggestions including:

--Tried to delete mapped drive via the command prompt with the net use delete command, (not found in there.)

--Tried the above with the actual network path instead of the drive letter, did not work

--Tried to delete the registry entries from:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2
HKEY_USERS\. Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Mountpoint2\

None of these solutions worked. Though deleting the registry entries momentarily hid the disconnected drive, the drive letter was still not available for mapping. I tried to force the drive letter (E:) to map to my optical drive, which worryingly, pointed back to the mapped network location on the NAS instead of to the optical drive.

How do I get rid of this? Reformatting the computer is not an option.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

More...