Windows 10 Changes to the registry revert after restarting PC

• Thread starter Thread starter djtwyce
  • Start date Start date
D

djtwyce

Hello. I asked this question on the Microsoft forums and they suggested I try here. I sometimes over-explain things and make them confused, so I'm going to start with the specific question and then include the backstory after, in case it's important.

I am on Windows 10 Enterprise and in the registry permissions, I am not the owner, but I do have full access. I have made other changes to the registry and they saved. There are two values in the registry that I'm trying to change. I am able to change them to what I want, but they always revert back when I restart my PC. These changes are for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

The first is at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pdf_auto_file\shell\Open\command. I want to change the default from "%Program Files%\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "%1" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "%1". I can make the change, but it always goes back upon restart. There are I think two other places in the registry that this pdf_auto_file appears, and if I change one the others also change.

The second registry value I'd like to change is at HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3757956179-2065393274-1453109089-153481\Software\Classes\.pdf. I want to change the default from pdf_auto_file to AcroExch.Document.DC. Again, I can make the change, but it reverts upon reset.

Either of these changes will give me the result I need, but neither will stick. I don't believe it is a permissions issue, because I can change other registries. My only guess is that either this is never editable or there is a different registry value that overrides these. I'm hoping somebody can help.

If you would like backstory, we have a web-based program that has an add-in that opens PDFs in Adobe. There is a local file we installed to our Program Files called LinkProtocolHandler.exe. The web-based software points to that file, and that file points to Adobe. This process does not work with the defaults. All files are 100% associated with Adobe as the default. If the issue were that easy I promise I wouldn't have dug this deep. In order to get the software to open PDFs in Adobe, I have to open Adobe, go to Preferences, then General, and then click the button to Select As Default PDF Handler. This prompts if I want to make system changes. I say yes, then get the pop-up that explains how to change file associations but nothing else, because the files are already associated. I've associated both through a PDF file and through Windows file associations. There are seven PDF-related extensions that are associated with Adobe. They were all I could find that are for PDFs. Clicking that button fixes the problem and PDFs will open, so I tried to figure out what that button does. Prior to clicking the button, the LinkProtocolHander.exe says it's associated with "%Program Files%\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "%1" and HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3757956179-2065393274-1453109089-153481\Software\Classes\.pdf is defaulted to pdf_auto_file. After clicking the button makes the changes I mentioned above. But if I change either manually in the registry, PDFs still open as intended. But nothing will save these settings upon restart.

I hope I tagged this question accurately and that somebody can help. I don't get why these registry values don't save. If there are any questions, or I made something unclear, please let me know. It may take me a while to respond, just due to my work hours, but I promise I will be keeping tabs on this post. Thanks for looking and for any input.

More...

Back