Windows Defender states "Remediation Incomplete". Is the detected threat removed?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr Kaos
  • Start date Start date
M

Mr Kaos

Hello,

I recently got an alert from Windows Defender stating that an unsafe file with a Severe Alter level was found on my computer after opening a .iso file.

I assume that there was a potentially dangerous file within it, which caused the alert to be triggered. I deleted that file immediately and did a quick scan to double check if any other risks could be identified, but nothing seemed to have been detected.

The file that was detected as a threat was "occamy.c". Some research tells me that this file hides in your computer and stays there for a while, collecting data until it is sent to the attacker. I checked all of the directories and suggestions that various websites suggested to check for any suspicious files, and I could not find anything, so I am hoping that I am safe.

I checked Windows Defender afterwards, and it still said "Remediation Incomplete". I am unsure of what this is supposed to mean - did Windows Defender remove the file? Is it partially removed from my machine? I would like to what this actually means and if there are any specific actions I should take to ensure that my machine is safe, which I rely on for my studies and work.

Edit: Windows Defender located it inside an EXE file, which was not executed. So, did Windows defender just detect the EXE file as unsafe, and found that that file contains the "occamy.c" threat? I am uncertain of what the details mean.

More...

Back