cannot remove virus from Windows 10, don't even know if it is virus. is my Bios infected?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jon_583
  • Start date Start date
J

Jon_583

first of all, this is my first question on this site or anywhere for that mater, so excuse any mistakes or the lack of info I might provide, I'll try my best:).

I have recently installed a program on my windows 10 from some torrent (for testing purposes), I was stupid enough not to have checked if the uploader was trustworthy, but the program worked fine. I have a dual-boot, windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, each OS installed on a separate HDD. After restarting the computer the Ubuntu won't start and just would get stuck on boot. if I run the Ubuntu HDD on a different computer it would work fine.

after restarting once again into Windows, it would boot fine, however some windows fonts disappeared or changed:5cd99ec7-a761-454e-9a9a-48a8ea497686?upload=true.jpg1fc6f052-b868-41c5-a58f-1d52ce283ee5?upload=true.jpgd5ce3f6f-fd6d-4082-a8f2-0664a9a1be6c?upload=true.jpg I am unable to see any fonts in settings and most of windows programs, and I tried everything I could think of. I did a clean install of windows twice, but the problem persisted. I then installed a winfilefolder.exe, which fixed the problem, but it hen reappeared after two days. I also updated GPU drivers, which also fixed the issue, but not for long. no antivirus I downloaded was able to detect any threats (bit defender, ESET, malwarebytes), not even in the safe mode. windows works fine in safe mode.

My last option is to create a bootable DVD of windows 10 and another for DBAN, wipe the disk, update Bios and install Windows 10 again.

Is it possible that the program somehow infected my Bios, or is it just limited to my windows 10 HDD, and I should just completely wipe it and reinstall windows 10?

More...

Back